Peter Stackhouse has spent the past 30 years doing two things: designing offices, apartments and industrial premises, and building himself a reputation as a can-do architect with the imagination and talent to help clients realise their dreams in bricks, mortar, concrete and glass.
As the Principal of Stackhouse Design, Peter is a cornerstone of Plymouth Facilities Management with the professional experience, qualifications and attitudes that our clients depend on us to offer.
An architect you can do business with
Architecture has changed immeasurably in the three decades Peter Stackhouse has been an architect. New materials, new technology, and a stack of new regulations as high as a skyscraper have transformed the profession from the days of drawing-boards and blueprints into today's landscape of computer-aided design, PDF plans, and easy on-the-spot contact with clients anywhere in the world.
Peter lives and breathes it, full of ideas and enthusiasm, and wins a satisfying amount of repeat business from clients who find the way he works a refreshing change from the large corporate practices that seem to hold three consecutive meetings before they can make a decision.
Stackhouse Design has an enviably short chain of command: Peter makes a decision, asks himself if he disagrees with it, then gets on with the job - drawing, whenever he needs it, on technical support from fellow professionals.
That flexibility and the time it saves is a significant advantage for clients who discover, too, that Peter's warm and engaging personality makes a real difference from the moment they enquire to the moment the project is finished and signed off.
Peter has a wealth of experience, having worked on many multi-million-pound projects for large national practices before he set up Stackhouse Design in 2011.
It has evolved into a practice with a broad portfolio of projects across the South West as well as commissions further afield in Dorset, Surrey and Kent.
Those projects include:
- student housing in Plymouth
- affordable housing for a Rural Housing Association in Somerset
- a large extension and refurbishment of an industrial building in the South Hams
- one-off dwellings in both timber-frame and traditional construction
- retail projects for a regular High Street client in numerous locations across the South West
- barn conversions in the South Hams and Somerset
- conversion and major refurbishment of a listed building from offices to high quality apartments in Plymouth
- external refurbishment of a golf course club-house.
One project to create a large new barn to form residential accommodation and an art gallery in Millbrook, Cornwall, involved Peter specifying innovative construction methods for the floors and walls to achieve a high level of thermal efficiency and air-tightness, and effectively achieved a Code for Sustainable Homes Level 5 rating.
Stackhouse Design can help with everything from the inception of the initial design through applications for Planning, Listed Building and Building Regulations Consents, then support you throughout the construction process, offering contract administration and project management services.
It can also fulfil the Principal Designer role required by the CDM - (Construction (Design and Management) Regulations - which changed significantly in April 2015.
Peter Stackhouse is a fully-qualified architect and has the following credentials: BA (Hons) Arch, DipArch (Birm,) RIBA, ARB.
To find out how Stackhouse Design can help you with your project, please contact Peter or his wife Janet, the practice's Business Development Director, on any of the following:
Office: 01752 426400
Mobile (Peter): 07731 644773
Posted by Michael Mann on 30 November 2015 at 10:51am
- Owen Jones DesignNovember 2015
- Flower Fayre for flowers for HM The Queen to corporate giftsMay 2015
- Let there be light!October 2014
- Only the Best for West June 2014
- Magic numbersApril 2014
- A new look for local florist February 2014
- A breath of fresh AyrJanuary 2014
- The launch of Plymouth Facilities ManagementDecember 2013